Interior Paint Colors for Your Home
It’s a definite challenge to pick out the perfect wall colour for the rooms in your home. What color do you paint the ceiling? Trim? And what furniture goes well with it?
The following will help you learn what interior paint colour scheme you’re after, what colors go together, and what furniture fits the color well.
If you’re not planning on selling your house anytime soon, why not take a risk with color? If you were planning to sell your house in the next three to five years, you might want to stick with neutral colours so people won’t be turned off by eccentrics if they want to invest in your home.
The following are popular interior paint colour schemes and their definitions:
- Monochromatic: Using the same colour throughout the room, possibly varying with tints and shades (like mint green and forest green).
- Analogous: Choosing paint colours that are right next to each other on the colour wheel (such as yellow and orange, or purple and pink).
- Complimentary: colors that are the opposite of each other on the colour wheel (like red and green, or blue and yellow).
When you’re choosing your paint colour(s), remember these tips:
- Choose the wall color first, instead of the ceiling or trim. Those are normally accent parts to the room and should match your primary wall color.
- You’ll need to check the paint swatches in natural light, artificial light, sunrise/sunset, and night-time lighting. The shade may look different in separate lighting, and it might not be the right choice for you in the end.
- Light colored paints make the room appear more spacious, and do well when applied to long walls of a room.
- Dark coloured paints make a room feel cozier, and work well on the end walls of a long room. However, they require more maintenance than light walls, and absorb heat faster.
- White ceilings give off an illusion of more space in a room.
Here are the different kinds of paint types and their definitions:
Flat: It doesn’t reflect light, so it’s a good finish for hiding imperfections. Use flat paint in a room that doesn’t require a lot of cleaning, or gets disturbed with wear and tear.
Satin/Eggshell: Both names are interchangeable. This paint has a delicate shine that is indicative of a fresh eggshell. It is a step up from flat paint – it’s more stain resistant and longer lasting.
Gloss: Hard, shiny, and good at hiding brush strokes – that’s gloss paint for you. However, it may draw imperfections to the walls. It is the most stain resistant paint, though, and the easiest to clean.
Semi-Gloss: If you want the look of gloss but not the imperfections that may come through, try a semi-gloss. It’s good for rooms that go through a lot of wear and tear, because it’s simple to clean and relatively hard.
Now that you know the basics of selecting paint, it’s time to select your colour! Look through the different shades and colour combinations from Benjamin Moore Paints to see which one will work in your home.
A unique way to accent red walls is through gold-tinted furniture.
AF Lighting Candice Olson Logan Gold Floor Lamp
L.A. Rugs Platinum Style Gold Tapestry Rug
Murray Feiss Viola Leaf Gold Mirror
To compliment a blue room, white furniture really pops out.
South Shore Furniture Newbury Collection White Platform Bed
Klaussner Furniture Treasures White Dining Table
Global Furniture USA 757 Series White Leather Sofa
Warm, wooden furniture in maple finishing compliments any shade of green.
Atlantic Furniture Manhattan Platform Bed with Open Footrail
Stanley Furniture Sunset Key Rum Round Cocktail Table Set
Stanley Furniture Provincia Maple Dresser in Golden Distressed Finish
Espresso-treated hardwood contrasts well against the bright yellow, but isn’t as harsh as black.
Hillsdale Tiburon Bentwood Queen Platform Bed
Kathy Ireland Home by Omnia Furniture Leather Mirage Brown Leather Sleeper Sofa (multiple finishes)
Homelegance Daisy Espresso Trestle Table
Since the purple is so strong, going with black furniture won’t overpower it.
Fashion Bed Group Kyoto Modern Black Platform Bed
Alphaville Le Corbusier Grande Chaise Black Sectional (2 finishes)
Lifestyle Solutions Ebony 9 Drawer Triple Black Dresser
Silver or chrome is a great accent colour in a brown room.
AF Lighting Supernova Floor Lamp
Brown Bar Stool
Bright red furniture will really stand out in a silver or grey living space.
Armen Art Furniture Roc Red Leather Loveseat
Style Craft Nantucket Shade Floor Lamp
Hillsdale Red Bar Stool
With pink, try furniture finished in mahogany for a rich, colourful room.
Fashion Bed Group Contemporary Mahogany Platform Bed
Global Furniture USA 728 Coffee Table Mahogany
Modus Canyon Mahogany Mahogany Mirror
Purple is a fun way to really showcase a black room
Skyline Furntiture Curved Back Upholstered Purple Chair
Skyline Premier Purple Border Upholstered Bed
Mystic Valley Traders Profiles Plum Square Pillow 18 x 18
Have any paint questions or need some help matching shades with furniture just ask I am happy to help you with your interior paint colors and furniture!
Nicolette Interior Design Diva